Sunday, July 1st, 2018
There is a very simple reason for deciding to journal about reading. I’m hoping the journal will keep me in check with reading, but considering how I always fail at journaling…we’ll see. Since January of this year, I’ve really struggled with reading. I read nine books that month and it’s been a struggle to get through one in the last five months. I just want to share this with you, our readers, just so that you can understand and maybe even relate to what I’m going through.
This hasn’t been just a slump but a reading ditch I can’t seem to crawl out of.
Not only that but I’ve wanted to increase my presence on this blog for some time now. Caidyn is often very excited about how our audience is increasing, but his posts are the majority of what comes out of the blog. That’s not his fault. It’s mine and only mine. If I can’t provide you guys with witty reviews, then I want you guys to know what’s going on with me. Sometimes it’s reading, but most of the time it’s not. Trust me, I want it to be.
There are many projects I want to do on the blog, some I’ve wanted to do for a long time now. Almost a year. I’m hoping that will come to fruition soon as I’m excited for you all to see it! In the meantime, you’ll hear from me with my series The Soundtrack of My Life and if anyone is interested in doing a graphic for it, I would be happy to talk with someone. I’m not a graphic designer nor do I draw, but I’ve wanted something specific and original for The Soundtrack of My Life.
41 pages: Becoming a Visible Man by Jamison Green
- Holy shit you guys, I actually made progress in this book. I can’t believe it!
33 pages: The Book of Essie by Meghan Maclean Weir
- Definitely excited to continue reading this book, but not sure how I feel about the different points of view.
I can’t believe I read today and I’m mildly impressed. However, this is just the start and throughout the week we’ll see how things go.
Monday, July 2, 2018
Today was long. I worked from 12:30pm until 8:00pm so I knew when I got home I wouldn’t have a lot of energy to read. I had spent most of my morning reading Becoming a Visible Man. I would like to finish it and be able to move on to this month’s BW Book Club pick which is Sing, Unburied, Sing. Honestly, if I can finish Becoming a Visible Man, The Book of Essie, and Sing, Unburied, Sing this month I’ll feel accomplished. Oh yeah, I need to read Goblet of Fire too.
35 pages: Becoming a Visible Man by Jamison Green
- This book is definitely a textbook on Transgender history as well as Green’s experience in the early 90’s San Francisco. There are definitely things that relate to today, but this book feels incredibly outdated at a time just because things have changed so much in the 12 years since this book was published.
25 pages: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
- I’m very frustrated with how I’m struggling to read this. I read a bit before I work today, but it wasn’t much. This book is gigantic and right now it feels like a hill I can’t climb. I really love the Harry Potter series and yet I feel very much stuck in a rut. Perhaps it’s this slump, but you would think that I’d be able to read Harry Potter at least. (Might read more before I go to sleep. Spoiler: I did)
13 pages: The Book of Essie by Meghan Maclean Weir
- I’m really not sure why Liberty is a POV character, but I’m hoping we’ll find out as the story continues to unfold.
Tuesday, July 3, 2018
Today is hard. I’m definitely feeling overwhelmed by the amount I have to read this month. However, I would be very proud if I could get back to reading. Even if I hate forcing myself too, sometimes I just have to pick up a book instead of turning on the tv. Which is especially hard on a day like today where I am just exhausted. I did pick up Sing, Unburied, Sing from the library so that’s something. I’m honestly excited to continue reading it and The Book of Essie. I do like Becoming a Visible Man but I’m not reaching for it. And of course, Harry Potter is comfort food to me. I think I’m finally at the first task, but still not even 50 percent through the book. I’m lucky if I can get a chapter of each book a day. That seems to be my pace right now.
8 pages: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
- Got a bit of reading in, but I was falling asleep as I was reading it on my Kindle.
Wednesday, July 4, 2018
I got some nice quiet reading time this morning before work. I read a chapter of The Book of Essie and I feel like there is some kind of twist coming. There are a lot of questions so far that aren’t being answered. That’s honestly the reason I’m still reading it. There is something coming, and if not then I would be really disappointed by the buildup and the lack of a payoff. Plus, the plot is very meh. She is planning to marry a boy she doesn’t know because she’s pregnant. To me, that’s a lot of blah. Mainly because it’s a bit boring and Essie is very blasé about the whole thing. Who knows what will happen next.
14 pages: The Book of Essie by Meghan Maclean Weir
- Caidyn says this book has him intrigued but I don’t think I’m feeling it quite yet.
16 pages: Harry Potter and the Goblet of Fire by J.K. Rowling
- Harry and Ron are annoying the hell out of me with their stupid fucking fight. They are acting like children. Harry threw a fucking badge at him. Frankly, they are making themselves out to look like assholes by not apologizing and being stubborn about this whole fight. I’m getting sick of it.
Saturday, July 7th, 2018
Sometimes, I don’t even realize two days have passed until they are long gone. Time is very weird that way. I haven’t read much (read: at all) the last few days and I’m asking myself why. I think that a large part of it has to do with work. I work full time and I’m on my feet for up to 8 hours a day. That’s exhausting for me to do five days in a row. Then I get mentally exhausted by dealing with my coworkers and customers all week. One asshole customer can really bring me down and there is often more than one.
The end of this week felt like a wave that pulled me under and I’m only now reaching the surface to capture my breath. Unfortunately, that means no Soundtrack of my Life post this week. I will have one coming on the 21st of July, but I couldn’t make it happen this week. For that, I apologize because I try and stay true to my commitments.
Doing this blog is one of the most difficult things I’ve ever done. It requires a lot of my time and sometimes I’m not willing to give up that time, but this blog has allowed me to write, to read, to share my thoughts with an audience and frankly that’s why I keep doing it.
Total pages read this week: 185
- I definitely read more than I have in a long time but I could’ve definitely read more. Especially because I’m behind in almost all of my reading.
You must be logged in to post a comment.